Allow an hour and a half to cook this soup. It must be served with crunchy garlic toasts!
- 3 cups dried gourmet mushroom blend
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 3 cups half and half (or cream if you want a shorter lifespan)
- 2 * large boxes Kitchen Basics chicken broth (this brand has low sodium)
- sea salt to taste
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup flour (add an additional 1/4 cup if you like it thick)
- Re-hydrate the mushrooms by boiling in water for about 3-5 minutes, then allowing to rest for about 20 minutes.
- In a stock pot, add butter, onion, and garlic, and cook on medium heat until just starting to caramelize
- Drain the mushrooms and discard the liquid. Lightly squeeze the mushrooms to drain a bit of the excess water.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook a few minutes until most of the surface moisture is gone.
- Add the flour, a bit at a time, and stir until it’s all added. Cook about 7 minutes until it starts to smell a bit toasty.
- Slowly add the broth while stirring.
- Bring the soup to a boil for 2-3 minutes to activate the flour. Be sure to stir constantly while boiling.
- Reduce to a simmer, and let cook for at least 15 minutes. Longer cook time will allow the flavors to imbue the soup.
- Just prior to serving, add the half and half slowly while stirring, as well as the fresh thyme. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with crunchy garlic toasts.