- 1 part potato
- 1 part broccoli
- Milk or Sour Cream
- Green onion or Chives
- Bacon bits
- Cheese (Cheddar is good)
- Butter optional
- Salt optional
- Boil broccoli and potatoes
- Drain water and return to pot to mash. (Note: Broccoli stems do not mash well so do not be afraid to leave in small lumps of both broccoli and potato)
- Add Milk or sour cream while mashing until the mixture has desired texture. It should look like slightly green, lumpy mashed potatoes. If adding butter do so now.
- Add bacon bits and chopped green onion (or chives) to taste.
- you may choose to either mash in some cheese, or leave it on the side for a topping.
Because this recipe uses a 1 to 1 mix of broccoli and potatoes it makes it very easy to adjust to the number of servings you want. It is important to realize that the tough stems of the broccoli and the bacon bits will give this side dish a lumpy texture.