- 1lb – 1.5lbs ground beef
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 slices of bread
- 1/2 cup of milk (or more: see directions)
- 1 egg
- 1 sleeve of saltines
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 can water (use now empty soup can)
- 2 bouillon cubes dissolved in 1 cup water
- soak bread in enough milk to make bread soggy (It usually takes 1/2 cup but may take 3/4 cup or more depending on how dry your bread is.)
- Combine beef, soup mix, egg and bread/milk. Mix by hand.
- Leave in the refrigerator over night to allow flavors to mix.
- Shape into meatballs, and dip meatballs into crushed saltines.
- Pan fry saltine covered balls until browned.
- Mix soup, water and bouillon mixture in 9X13 pan.
- Place meatballs in gravy pan and cook at 350 degrees (F) for 1 hour.
This is essentially the same recipe as Mrs. D’s Meatloaf, but left to sit overnight before cooking to allow the flavors to blend more completely. Then instead of being made in loaf form is made into meatballs. For best results serve over or with mashed potatoes.