- 1lb – 1.5lbs ground beef
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 3 slices of bread
- 1/2 cup of milk (or more: see directions)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Ketchup (optional)
- 1/4 cup Honey (optional)
- 4 strips bacon (optional)
- soak bread in enough milk to make bread soggy (It usually takes 1/2 cup but may take 3/4 cup or more depending on how dry your bread is.)
- Combine beef, soup mix, egg and bread/milk. Mix by hand.
- Shape into loaf and place in a pan or oven safe casserole dish. Needs to have sides because ground beef will have fat drippings.
- For one optional topping mix ketchup and honey together with a spoon then drip over meatloaf before placing in oven.
- For second optional topping cut bacon in half and lay strips across the top of the loaf before placing in the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F) and cook for 45-60minutes depending on thickness of loaf. Remove from pan and place in serving dish
It is important to realize that the amount of fat dripping produced is based on how lean of a ground beef you use, but no matter how much or how little cooks out, it is never appetizing looking to serve the loaf directly from the cooking pan.