- 1 can Campbells golden mushroom soup
- 1 can Campbells creamy onion soup
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 rounded teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 rounded teaspoon garlic
- 1 cup red wine (merlot, cabernet, etc.)
- 1 medium Portabella mushroom cap
- 1/2 lb white button mushrooms
- 2 rounded tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 tsp ground celery seed
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Dice onion.
- In 4 quart saucepan, combine oil, 2 tablespoons butter (careful to only use half of it!), garlic, ginger, and onion. Sautee on high to a medium brown.
- Slice mushrooms while sautéing onions.
- Add additional 2 tablespoons butter, melt, and sprinkle flour over mixture, stirring while still heating on high about 5 minutes to finish roux.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in both cans concentrated soup (no water, please), seasoning, wine.
- As mixture is becoming heated, add mushrooms.
- Continue cooking on low heat for an hour and a half at least, stirring occasionally.
- Once table is set and complete meal is prepared, when beef is finished grilling, cut beef in half or slice as desired and drain its juice to the gravy with stove on high heat again. Stir continuously while on high heat. Additional Water or a bit of wine may be added to achieve desired medium-heavy consistency, but don’t add too much wine at the end without enough time to cook off the alcohol.
Originated with Todd Schuett